Sunday 24 May 2015

Every school should have the Saint

Been away for a while on purpose because I wanted to see whether I would be reporting good or bad news in regards to the boy's transition to the unit. His hours were increased this term from two mornings to 16 hours over a few weeks. I am delighted to say that he has happily attended from 9am -1pm four days a week. Never thought I would say this.

To be able to hand him back over to the local authority and trust their expertise was something of a big ask where we were concerned. His key worker whom organised the EHC plan also recognised this and was full of reassurance. I will never forget that afternoon, leaning my head against the window as she convinced me over the phone that this unit was a good place. I was so scared, as previous posts will testify.

And she was right. To date the boy has started to reconsider further education, he has watched a year 10 boy do "work experience" at the IT department, to inform  me that actually the IT department come to the unit for "work experience", however he is looking forward to his turn at this. He has gone out on an outing with the other pupils, asked to borrow his grandfather's Tom Clancy book, he has even played rounders.

Every morning I have dreaded getting up wondering if  will he be making  that terrible noise as he refuses to go. I don't think I slept that well to begin with. We have had days when he will be quiet or rather apathetic, these are normally after a change in routine or a plan that he agreed to initially but then  feels he can not meet. Luckily the Saint and I have another option to offer that is more comfortable but keeps that attendance going. The educational psychologist when he assessed the boy wrote that it was better for him to attend a few hours every day rather than have long breaks because that then breaks the cycle of anxiety about attending. The Saint has told me repeatedly that his mental health is more important and neither she or us want him to stop attending regularly because he is being forced to do more than he can achieve. Such kind people.

He is studying English, Science, Maths and IT thus there is not much need for such long school days. The pupils also have social time if they wish. Some of the pupils such as the boy have a desk in a quieter room that is off from the main room and he will often spend his spare time watching documentaries which impresses the Saint no end. There is also an amazing fully equipped sensory chill out room which I think should be for the parents. Often if pupils are worried the Saint will take them in there to talk to them. Their school days start later and end before the rest of the school so that they do not have to cope with the hustle and bustle of school life. They are encouraged to attend mainstream lessons too with support but so far the boy feels unable to do this, again there is no pressure.

I often see the other pupils (all of them are boys) and it amazes me that they have all come from similar paths as ours. They smile, open the door for me and just seem so relaxed and comfortable. The boy gets on well with a couple of them, though quite clearly none have been invited over for tea as yet!

He comes home from school, cheeky, boisterous and keen to get some words in edgeways if only the girl will let him. I do not think this has ever happened in his school career before. The Saint and I often end our meetings stating  that every school in the country should have this facility, now if someone could just pass me my magic wand...........................

Clairexxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment